Tuesday 11 February 2014

Construction!

Hello friends

Phew!  
Yesterday's post about Hope and Chances making a few changes 
was received well, thank you everyone. 
I saw this cartoon and thought it was perfect...
change is good!

Today is construction day! 
Step by step photos on how to build your craft caddy/stationery box.
Still available to purchase and you are also supporting two amazing charities -
just click on the link here.

When you open the bag you will be faced with quite a few grey board components.
It is easier to sort these into matching piles.
 These are the 4 sections that will make the main structure of your caddy.
You will see there are notches that match the slits - these align and slot in -
they also need to be glued.
 I used Cosmic Shimmer for assembling the whole caddy.
 
 Be quite liberal with the glue, as it dries clear do not worry if there is seepage!
Also BIG TIP: be patient, glue and await each section to dry.  This makes it so 
much easier to assemble. You can always skip ahead and assemble the drawers 
while this section dries.  Also stop for tea and cake!
 Those four components join to create a H shape. 
This how it looks once the back section is attached...
Attaching the base.  
Apologies a fuzzy photo and not the neatest glue line but you get the idea...
 Assembling the drawers.
You will to locate these 3 components to create a drawer.
Again, the notches match the slits.
Assemble and leave to dry.
Once dry - attach the drawer base - it is meant to be wider. 
Once dry, attach the drawer fronts. 
 Creating the tray.
These 5 components are easy to spot in your kit pack. 
Very simple to assemble, each strip with notches 
matches the corresponding slits - glue securely and wait to dry. 
 The tray assembled.
 Creating the lift up box lid.
5 components to create this. To differentiate these from the drawer
sections, check the notches - they are different.
 The finished box lid - again a gentle reminder - allow sections to dry.
 
Returning to your main structure. The lid with tray has now been attached - it is a
tiny bit longer than the base so it is level with the front of the drawers.
You need to find the thinner piece of grey board that has been scored.
This is your hinge section that needs to be glued to the back of the box.  
The score line should be level with the bottom of the tray lid.
Another photo showing the life up box lid in position and how the hinge should be adhered. 
Use plenty of adhesive!
 Front image of completed box - box lid closed.

 Box lid open revealing the tray.
A few things that are useful to know - when glueing a little bit of blackish residue tends to
come off the grey board, mucky hands!  
Easily cleaned - keep a pack of baby wipes handy.
I cannot stress enough how much better it is to wait until each section dries.
I slightly rushed mine to catch the light for all the photos and it does mean
one tiny section is misaligned - although you would never actually know, 
covered up once decorated!

Very soon tips on how to decorate using the papers provided.

Feel free to email me should you find any of this confusing or need
further assistance - happy to help.
Take care friends and happy constructing!

Oh yes, many thanks Jackie for the knitted squares, they are lovely and will
be crocheted into a blanket very soon.


23 comments:

Wendy L said...

Thanks for that. xxxx

baconbits said...

Morning Christine
Thanks for the tut - most informative.
So glad that the diversification was a hit, its whats needed of we want to have your shop.
TFS
Hugs
Amanda x

Carole Z said...

HI Christine, I couldn't get on to your blog yesterday, so just dod a catch up there! Thanks for the tut! Hugs Carole Z X

hazel young said...

Great tutorial for othe kit today. Love the owl and pussy cat cartoon. Hope you have a great day xx hazel

Anonymous said...

Love the tutorial. just nipping over to order it.
Love Val x

lydia jordan said...

Morning Christine,
Sadly I have not got the room for your wonderful caddy in my tiny craft space. I'm sure it will go down well.
Lydia
X

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Christine, Loving the cartoon, very funny, but very true haha.
Thank you for the tutorial today, I can see the scene now when mine arrives, the laptop will be permanently on and I'll have all the bits around me, hopefully I won't need to email you for help haha !!
Have a lovely day.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Jean Z said...

Hi Christine , It's so good that you take the time to show people how to assemble the draw, and your cartoon is just like me . love Jean Z xxx

Mrs B said...

Hi Christine. I love the cartoon! Sadly I can't afford the kit at the moment but what a great, clear and easy to follow tutorial for those that have got one. Hopefully I will get one in a month or so (if you have any left) Take care.

loftylass said...

Morning Christine.... great tutorial and looking forward to making mine which I am about to order. Love the cartoon... very apt!
Hugs
Heather W
x

Magzeeann said...

Hi Christine. Thanks for the tutorial, I KNOW that I will need to constantly refer to it, I'm hopeless with flat pack (maybe even a panic email to you!)Love the cartoon, it really made me smile.Take care, love and hugs,
Maggie x

Janice said...

Morning Christine
Great tutorial, which I'm sure we'll all be grateful of!
Wll be emailing you shortly about mine. Have a good class today, the cupcakes sound delicious!
Janice x

ros hodgkins said...

Hello Christine, I Love the cartoon, it is so female thinking. I am sorry to say I have no use for the charity kit this time,however I would love still to contribute to the Charities so if you could let me know how much I will send a cheque for the amount.
X Ros

Apex Technology said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lucycat said...

Hi Christine,
Thank you for a great tutorial,I am sure it will be really helpful.
Love the cartoon it made me smile.
Have a nice day. Take care. x

LoraineC said...

Thanks for a very clear tutorial. I think mine might have arrived but gone to the sorting office as I was at work:(( Can't wait to go and pick it up, loved the cartoon x

Pat S Witney said...

Hi Christine
many thanks for the info. This cartoon would also be fantastic as a stamp, along with the other one I emailed you about. It would be nice to have some funny cartoony stamp. I see that other people who have visited the blog also like the owl and the pussycat cartoon. This seems to be a niche that is missing in the market.

Laura O said...

wow great instructions ,looks fab ,Laura O

Anonymous said...

Fab tutorial christine x

AnneRD said...

This looks to be a great kit and so useful. Will have to get my order in. Currently still knitting squares! Anne x

Jane Willis said...

Thanks for the tutorial - I've just assembled my kit and you made it so easy! Looking forward to starting to decorate it.

Unknown said...

Hi Christine, Hope you are all enjoying this lovely afternoon. I've just got round to making my box. Thank goodness you did the tutorial. I'd never have managed without it. Thanks for all your effort, love Carol xxx

Unknown said...

Oh, Christine, thank you so much for the assembly tute, I still haven't put mine together, though I do at least have the paper I want to cover it with.
(and the handles too). Would you recommend painting everything before assembly (avoiding tabs and holes)?

So glad the blog hop isn't a mile long, I might just go round and see them all

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...